The Babies!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

20 Week Ultrasound (20w1d)

The ultrasound went beautifully and everything looks perfect! Despite being late to the appointment (hmph), we didn't have to wait long to be seen. Baby was very active, which made it very easy for the ultrasound technician to take measurements. Because he was so cooperative ("photogenic," the tech said) we were in and out in less than thirty minutes.

It's funny that I could only feel about half of the actual movements he was making. I don't suppose that will be true much longer. I already feel like I'm so much bigger than I was a week ago, but baby is weighing in at a very healthy 13 ounces, so I'm not too concerned about looking like a beach ball this early. After all the data was plugged in, the computer gave us a due date of December 6, which is only three days off from my original December 9 due date.

The technician said all of the organs and the umbilical cord looked good. We could see the four chambers of his heart pumping normally, his developing brain and his long, straight spine. Oh, and we could also easily see his penis, but just in case there was any doubt he's a boy, the tech sent us home with two pictures of the equipment.

My fibroids seem to be staying out of the way of anything important and I'm still hoping for a vaginal delivery (drug free!). I have a few more months before I'll know if that will be possible.

Unfortunately, we didn't get a profile picture this time as baby seems to prefer the forward-facing position. But I still think this is a pretty terrific picture:


When turned right side up, I think he has Jay's jaw line:


I don't know when I will have another ultrasound, but I couldn't have asked for a better experience this time around. It's so nice-- and such a relief-- to be told everything looks perfect.

Twenty weeks down, twenty more to go!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

well..i dont see any penis on those pics but i see that lil head..oh my gosh..its so awsome..i mean..there is a human beeing..a little man inside of you swimming and growing and...g-damned..i m speechless..:-)

spam-word is olymp!!! a good sign..

mikeynme14 said...

Oh!!!! I am telling you, when you can see actual definition of the features like this... oh my heart is melting. I'm also crying. Happy tears, yay!!! Now I need to have a baby so Sheri can focus her attention back on MEEEEE!!!!

Although really, I am so unbelievably happy for both of you! YAY PICTURES OF BABY!!! I've been referring to him as "MiniKris" for lack of an actual name, although perhaps I should alternate with "MiniJay". Hmmm...

Amy said...

That's awesome! What great pictures. Don't worry about looking like a beach ball, you're body seems to know what to do!

Nikki Magennis said...

Ah, so cool!

We came away with penis pics too. I don't really understand why!

Anyway, great the wee one was cooperative and everything went well.

I had two scans that went on for ever, because it seems I have a stubborn wee bugger that refused to pose for the scanner!

x

Kristina Wright said...

Danielle ~ There will be no gratuitous penis shots, sorry. You'll just have to trust me he's a boy. ;-)

Leslee ~ It would be awesome if you had another baby! I'm looking forward to seeing you all, hopefully in a few weeks!

Amy ~ Thanks, you're sweet! ;-)

Nikki ~ What is up with the penis pictures? I mean, we even knew he was a boy already! I guess we were lucky he was so cooperative. The tech seemed surprised.

Danielle said...

thats allright..i m not sokeen on the penis part..i have one on my own..:-P