The Babies!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Moving Forward (7w5d)

I am now one day past as far as I got in the last pregnancy. That's not a really a big deal because something could still happen, but it's a small milestone. It's nice to be here. The best part is that I don't have any symptoms to suggest anything is wrong. Good news.

I had a consult with my doctor today and that went well. The breast lump that was there last week has mysteriously disappeared (I'm pretty sure it's hormonal), which means I can forget about that for now. I have another ultrasound scheduled in two weeks on May 12, which will be reassuring. I have my MFM (maternal fetal medicine) appointment on May 27. That will start the process of genetic counseling and screening tests. A little nerve racking, but by then I'll be twelve weeks and closer to being able to relax.

I have to say, I'm feeling much more calm and relaxed this time around. Even my blood pressure was in the normal range today (they usually take it twice-- once when I get there and then again when I leave because the first time it's so high). Peace. I think it's a combination of receiving better (and more) medical attention and just feeling like this time everything will be all right.

Speaking of better medical care, by May 12 I will have had four appointments and two ultrasounds. May 12 was the earliest they would schedule my first prenatal appointment at the naval hospital. The lack of concern-- especially for older "high risk" patients is infuriating. If I had waited, I wouldn't be on the progesterone supplement (Prometrium) my current doctor recommended. A shortage of progesterone is frequently the cause of early miscarriages and is often prescribed from the time a pregnancy is confirmed through week 12. I didn't start until week 7, but that's still five more weeks this supplement might be working for me-- as opposed to not having it at all.

I get so angry when I think about it, but I don't know what to do or who to write or whether it would even make a difference. How many women are having early miscarriages due to a progesterone deficiency while they wait for the naval hospital to get around to seeing them? Grr. Makes me angry.

But, so far, so good. I'll be 8 weeks on Wednesday. Sometimes it doesn't feel real at all. I'm feeling pretty good other than be tired more often than not. My nails are growing like crazy, which is a nice perk of pregnancy and prenatal vitamins. I hope I can maintain this calm throughout. It's good to feel at peace with what's going on inside my body.

No comments: